Right now I’m laying in bed, eating a lovely spinach and artichoke hummus. It’s been a very exhausting week and these alteration projects are taking A LOT more time and energy than I was expecting. For each alteration that I decide to make I have to spend an hour or more researching different techniques. After that, it takes two, three, four or more attempts to get it any where near acceptable.
I’ll tell you what. I follow 49 dresses, Marisa Lynch, and Jillian Owens religiously and these girls make it look like a freakin’ breeze. Oh Marisa, how I loathe the day that I stumbled upon your blog! I am now determined to be able to make my horrible Goodwill finds look incredible, and it appears as though I will spend the rest of my life figuring this tedious, mind numbing stuff out. Ughhhhhh!
So, I’m sparing you guys the ugly… monotonous… details. I bought this men’s dress shirt at goodwill for a few dollars. It was long enough to be a slutty dress-tent hybrid, and the sleeves hung about 6 inches past my wrist.
I didn’t catalog every step, mostly because I don’t want any of you to see the up close details. So I’ll just give you the no-visual-aid-included rundown. I:
-used my seam ripper to detach the sleeves
-took the sides in ~1.25″ on each side to equal about 5″ total
-used my rotary cutter and a pattern to deepen the cut of the arm holes to make the shirt more of a tank
-added darts to reduce the sleeve gapping
-trimmed the sleeve hems with a white fabric in a quilt-style binding
The darts took me no less than 4 attempts and they still aren’t even. I’m not stressing over it though. Here is the finished product:
I’ve got a couple more projects in the works, both sewing and non. If you have any interesting ideas… pass them along! as for now, I’m addicted.